Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hot Off the Press

Here's the article that was posted in the Kunming Daily newspaper on 12/30/10:
http://times.clzg.cn/html/2010-12/30/content_177931.htm

I've translated it below, softening some of the exaggerations and omitting some of their errors (I do not have a Master's Degree from Simon's Rock!)


2011: Bicycling Kunming - Southeast Asia: Messengers of Friendship

American Young Man to be Kunming Mayor's Messenger


One rider is an American young fellow. One rider is a respected old man from Kunming. They both love to ride bicycles. They both adore the beautiful city of Kunming. They also both share the same desire: to become a messenger in the upcoming "Messengers of Friendship: Cycling Kunming - Southeast Asia, 2011" event: American youth Jesse A Millett and Kunming native Song Chengkun.



(left) Jesse already has valuable cycling experience



Kunming is Jesse's second home.

"The people of Kunming have always been extremely welcoming. Every time I return here, I feel as though I am returning home." Jesse A Millett says, Kunming really is his home away from home. "It is an honor to be part of the team that will deliver the Mayor of Kunming, Mr. Zhang Zulin's, letter's of friendship to the countries of Southeast Asia. My friendship with Kunming has grown to new heights and I look forward to delivering the kind words of Mr. Zhang Zulin to the wonderful countries of Southeast Asia." This is the young American lad Jesse's enrollment declaration.

In May, 2004, Jesse graduated with an Associates Degree from Simon's Rock College of Bard in literature. In 2006, he studied with the School for International Training in Kunming focusing on Chinese and ethnic minority cultures. Jesse is really interested in Chinese culture and the Chinese people and consequently has learned fluent Mandarin. "My Mandarin is almost as fluent as my English," he says. "I can also speak Spanish. When interacting with people of different cultural backgrounds, understanding and responding with ease is of utmost importance. As a messenger for Kunming, I believe my greatest strength lies in my proven ability to freely communicate with people of different backgrounds."

Jesse already has valuable cycling experience having led adolescents on self-sustaining bike tours in America [http://www.teentreks.com/]. He has also received extensive training in wilderness first aid, CPR, and AEDs [Wilderness First Responder, http://www.soloschools.com/]. He says, "Besides being a remarkable foreign team member, I can also serve as the team's medical personnel."


Intern Reporter, NiuShiYun (translated by Jesse Millett)

3 comments:

TERRAZAS DE GUADALQUIVIR said...

thats soooo cool jess!!!! super excited for you!!!... I wish to be in that trip thats awsome! good luck!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

our thoughts are with you, Jess. We will be checking your blog regularly to follow your progress. Best wishes to Fei Boa and Lily. -Aunt Marilyn